Legal Guides

We use plain and simple English to give you an overview of the most common areas of law.

ID1 and ID5 Forms – A Quick Guide

Free legal advice on ID1 and ID5 forms - animated video conference

HM Land Registry (HMLR) requires ID to be verified when someone involved in a variety of property transactions doesn’t have a lawyer representing them in the deal. If you’re reading this, there is a good chance you’ve been asked to complete an ID verification, commonly referred to as an Form ID1 verification.

The following will cover the key points about HMLR’s ID verification process, including when you need to complete one, how much they cost and if you can avoid doing one. Stay tuned as we unravel the complexities of ID1 Forms, so you can complete them easily and move your property transaction forward.

What is an ID1 Form (and an ID5 Form)?

The ID1 Form is a standard form used by HMLR when verifying the identity of individuals involved in property transactions.  It includes the individual’s details (eg, name and date of birth) and those of the property for which the application is being made (eg, ‘Title Number’ – more on this below).  Importantly, it requires a solicitor or conveyancer to certify that they have seen evidence of individual’s identity.

ID verifications can happen face-to-face or remotely over a video call.  Where the ID verification takes place over a video call (eg, on Zoom or MS Teams), the ID5 Form is used in addition to the ID1 Form and highlights the fact the verification was completed over video.  When this happens, the solicitor will sign the ID5 Form not the ID1 Form, which is signed only by the individual presenting the form.

When do you need to get your ID verified?

The Land Registry introduced the ID1 Form verification process in a bid to limit costs for those involved in property transactions but don’t have a lawyer to represent them (other solicitors might be involved, but they will be acting for someone else involved in the transaction).  Instead of having to appoint a solicitor , these people only need to provide proof that ‘evidence of identity’ has been checked and verified. This requirement prevents fraudsters from undertaking transactions in their name and without their knowledge.  The ID1 Form and ID5 Form record the fact that the ‘evidence of identity’ has been checked.

ID verification forms will need to be sent to HMLR when the property transaction falls under one of the following categories:

  • Transfer – the property is being sold, gifted or being passed from someone who has died to their heirs (referred to as an ‘assent’ in the legal jargon).
  • Surrender of a registered lease – ie, the lease is ending.
  • A new lease is created.
  • First registration of freehold or leasehold land.
  • Legal charge – in other words, when a loan is secured against the property (including a mortgage).
  • Discharge or release of a registered charge – when a loan secured against a property is paid, the owner of the charge (the lender) will need to have the loan removed.
  • Change of name.

How much does it cost to get an ID1 Form completed?

An ID verification for HMLR, using Form ID1, needs to be completed by a ‘conveyancer’ which almost always means a solicitor.  They will charge for their time inspecting the ID you provide and may also prepare the ID forms for you.  Fees vary from solicitor to solicitor, but a high street solicitor you meet in person may charge several hundred pounds.

Alternatively, there are several online solicitors and companies that specialise in ID verifications for HMLR via video (ie, use the ID5 Form process). They charge between £60 and £100.

Anything to look out for when completing the forms?

Most of the information that needs to be included in the ID forms is straightforward, such as your current address and phone number.  However, there are a few bits of jargon you’ll need to understand and people often come unstuck on these points.

One of these is the property’s ‘Title Number’. The Land Registry ‘Title Number’ is the unique number allocated by HMLR and is used as a means of identifying the relevant land. Including it in the forms is optional, but doing so will reduce the risk of delay to your application. The title number should be referenced in the land registry documents (the ‘Title Register’ or ‘Title Plan’) relating to your property. If you have the property’s ‘Deeds’ check them for the title number. Alternatively, you could search for and purchase the Title Register for your property if you don’t already have this. It only costs £3, though you’ll need to set up an account.

The other point where people often struggle is the type of application you are making. This isn’t the ID verification itself, but rather the application being made for the related property (so don’t put ‘ID1’).  For this you can just look at the list of transaction categories above and put what is happening to the property.  It is most commonly a ‘Transfer’ but check with whoever asked you to complete the ID verification if you’re not sure.


In navigating HMLR’s ID verification process, understanding what the ID1 and ID5 Forms are for and how to complete them is important.  The process is fairly straightforward, but you will need to involve a lawyer (so they can certify that they have seen your ID). Remember, while costs vary, online services can offer convenience at a fraction of the price.

This guest post was written by Christian McAleenan, a freelance solicitor regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and who offers an ID1 Form verification service.

DISCLAIMER: This article should not be regarded as constituting legal advice in relation to particular circumstances. This article is merely a general comment on the relevant topic. If specific advice is required in connection with any of the matters covered in this article, please speak to Christian McAleenan directly.

Published on 30th May 2024
(Last updated 30th May 2024)